Sunday, February 22, 2009
Church service was good today. I truly enjoyed myself. I visited my childhood church with my older sister. I'm technically still a "member" of the church because I joined when I was younger, but since then I've moved on and ventured out to find my "new church home," if I might say.
Anywho, the message was amazing. I'm not used to Pastor Davis preaching such a convicting message-- or maybe he always does, I was just too young to pick up on it. The message was "Barriers of Discipleship." He began by defining the word "barriers," stating that barriers in our lives are "structures that hinder action." Pastor was saying that the Lord requires us to not only know the benefits of discipleship, but the barriers as well. This keeps us accountable.
The scripture that he gave was from Matthew 28, you know... the great commission, where Jesus tells us to go and teach all nations. The word "teach" is translated to "make disciples of." Jesus tells us to go and make disciples of the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit-- or, baptizing "in the name of Jesus Christ."
The scriptures he used to teach the message came from Luke 9:23, 57 and John 15. He stated that the first barrier is when we do not deny ourselves for Christ's sake... when it's our [fleshly] will waring against the Lord's [holy] will. Pastor Davis said this is a barrier in the lives of God's people. He also said that you cannot make disciples until you become a disciple-- or, you cannot bring anyone to Christ until you are a devout and sincere follower of Christ yourself. That was really good to me.
Another thing he mentioned was, if you take the word "self" and reverse it, adding an "h," you get the word "flesh." That really blessed my spirit. It's true. Our will is self-flesh; not self-less, it's selfish and the Lord's will requires sacrifice and surrendering ourselves and our own will. We must give it all up for Christ Jesus.
The second barrier (the first was "not denying self") was "If you don't sacrifice, you won't be able to serve." Meaning, if we don't sacrifice our will and our way, we as disciples of Christ will not be able to serve others and edify the Kingdom of God because God says in scripture that we cannot serve two masters-- it's either self or God, Christ Jesus. Particularly, Pastor was talking about the church ("church" in a general sense) not paying tithes. How can you trust God to bless you if you won't bless His sanctuary? It was kinda like that... I've never paid tithes in my life. I always thought "the ADULTS" pay tithes and I was OK. LOL, I'm a nerd. But, Lord willing I will trust God to provide for me as I give Him my 10th.
In John 15, Pastor was stating how Jesus is the True Vine and how a branch cannot bear fruit of itself; apart from God we can do nothing. One of my favorite quotes from the sermon was "Your vision comes with a provision that He has for you." That quote reminds me of what God says about establishing our thoughts and granting us the desires of our hearts... God knows what we desire and if it's pure, holy and in line with His precious will, He will give it to us. After all, He tells His children that anything we ask in His name, He will give to us (according to His will). God will make the provision. He will take care of us. That's why it's so important to surrender all and trust God to do the rest. Pastor said, "Whatever God designs, He can build!" --Now that's the beauty of the Lord. Glory to God.
I pray that the Lord tears down the barriers in your life that is holding you back from becoming a true disciple of Him. Pray my strength as I pray yours. Let's pay our tithes and trust the Lord to take care of us. We must bless the men and women of God. The ones that have been called have been commissioned (we're all commissioned according to Matthew 28) to do a great work and they are trusting the Lord to provide for them, so we must also give our 10th [10 percent of your income to the church] and trust that God will take care of us. It's a partnership--me and God, you and God-- we're all in this thing together, so let's do it right.
Words/Phrases to search for in your Bibles:
- Praying In the Spirit
- I'm Engaged & Happy Birth-day to Me!
- A Warning for Your Soul
- Lesson: Power Struggles
- How Christians Should Pray for the Sick
- Test Out your Faith!
- Leave, In the Name of Jesus
- Enter With Your Eyes Open!: Courtship, Marriage & Covenant
- A Beacon of Light
- "and God talked with him"
- "Creating Happiness"
- How Do You Encourage Yourself?
- Visions of the Lord's Day
- A Tidbit on Fraternites & Sororities
- Barriers of Discipleship
- Christian Fiction, Not So Fictitious
- Discipline, Self Control & Obedience
- End of the World.
- Happy Is He
- He That Overcometh
- I Corinthians 14
- Knowledge is Power.
- Pastor Sure Can Preach
- PENTECOST WILL SET YOUR RELIGION ON FIRE!
- Persecuted, but Not Forsaken
- Silly Women Laden with Lust
- Sweet Melody
- The Weed and the Flower
- "THEIR HEART IS FAR FROM ME."
OR Get blog updates sent directly to your inbox by entering your email address below:
- North Carolina, United States
- Graduate of Religious Studies & Communication with emphasis in Media Studies. I'm a holy and sanctified woman of God, renewing myself in the Lord Jesus daily... for He is worthy. Just trying to live my life passionately for Jesus Christ. If no one has told you today that they love you-- I love you, with the love of Christ!
Taste & See That the LORD is GOOD! (Psalm 34:8)
- ► 2011 (25)
- ► 2010 (70)
- Status Update #2
- My Testimony - "Psalms of Thanksgiving"
- Working Willingly #1
- "Barriers of Discipleship"
- Matthew 6:30-34 Testimony
- Archived: "The Testimony of a Man Who Left Freemas...
- "God Has Done Great Things"
- Sad World.
- Dearly Beloved
- Status Update #1
- Something amazing is happening... and I wanted to...
- LORD, help.
- The Best Part of Superbowl...
- Goodbye January
- ▼ February (15)
- bible scripture (69)
- how deeply i need you (68)
- real talk (66)
- fun times (59)
- "this is my prayer" (56)
- daydreaming (53)
- Who am I? (52)
- pictures (50)
- for ladies (45)
- MUST READ (43)
- testimony (42)
- reflecting (23)
- new beginnings (20)
- photography (20)
- A Thousand Words Thursday (17)
- video (17)
- Dearly Beloved (16)
- gospel music (16)
- books (14)
- reminiscing (14)
- homemaking prep (12)
- status update (10)
- Holy Spirit (9)
- for gentlemen (9)
- Life 101 (8)
- sermons (8)
- archived pictures (7)
- couponing (7)
- Saturday Songday (6)
- baking (6)
- courtship (6)
- New Look (5)
- clouds (5)
- Word-Filled Wednesday (4)
- Working Willingly (3)
- archived articles (3)
- cooking (2)
- faith (2)
- this is my prayer (2)
- Family (1)
- twitter (1)
- "The Franchise Fraud: How To Protect Yourself Before And After You Invest" by Robert L. Purvin Jr.
- "Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough" by Lori Gottlieb
- "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert
- "Captain of My Soul: A Memoir" by Whitney Gracia Williams
- "Dictionary of Angels: Including the Fallen Angels" by Gustav Davidson
- "Miracles" by Pat Robertson
- "How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie
- "Law of Success in 16 Lessons" by Napoleon Hill, Volume I and II Unabridged
- "Holy Sanctuary" (New Testament on Audio), by New Living Translation Bible
- "Everyday Life Bible" (Amplified Version), with Joyce Meyers
- "New Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible," James Strong
- "Jewish Study Bible," Oxford University Press
- "Choosing God's Best" by Ron Rauniker
- "Boy Meets Girl: Say Hello to Courtship" by Joshua Harris
- "The Screwtape Letters" (v1982 with 1960 Preface) by C.S. Lewis
- "Thinking for a Change: 11 Ways Highly Successful People Approach Life and Work" by John Maxwell
- "In Other Words" by Dominique Enright
- "The Sciences of Powers" by Benjamin Kidd
- "Mind in the Making" by Harvey James Robinson
- "Overcoming the Dark Side of Leadership: The Paradox of Personal Dysfunction" by Gary L. McIntosh and Samuel D.Sr. Rima
- "No Excuses!: The Power of Self-Discipline" by Brian Tracy
- [movie] "Healing Hands," from the Hallmark Channel, Larry Levinson
- "How to Love a Black Man" by Ronn Elmore
- "From Slavery to Freedom: A History of African Americans" [Unabridged, 1947 1st or 2nd Edition] by John Hope Franklin
- "Unmasking the Jezebel Spirit" by John Paul Jackson
- "I Dared to Call Him Father" by Bilquis Sheikh [testimonial]
- "Talking With Your Hands, Listening With Your Eyes: A Complete Photographic Guide to American Sign Language" by Gabriel Grayson
- "A Field Guide to Demons, Fairies, Fallen Angels and Other Subversive Spirits" by Carol K. Mack
- "Romeo & Juliet" by William Shakespeare
- "Coming Apart at the Seams" by Minister Fred Hatchett
- "Greek-Letter Organizations: Offspring of Abomination" by Gail Gray
- "The Love Dare" by Stephen and Alex Kendrick
- "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" by Joshua Harris
- "Become Your Own Matchmaker: 8 Easy Steps for Attracting Your Perfect Mate" by Patti Stanger
- "No More Drama! Relationships: Overcoming the Drama in Relationships" by Pastor Wil Nichols
- "When God Writes Your Love Story" by Eric & Leslie Ludy
- "The Discipline of Grace: God's Role and Our Role in the Pursuit of Holiness" by Gerald Bridges and Jerry Bridges
- "The Screwtape Letters" (Unabridged Version) by C.S. Lewis
- "The Truth Behind Hip Hop" by Elder G. Craige Lewis
Ministries For God
Glory to God
- * FREE Gospel Tracts to Distribute
- * FREE King James Version Bible
- * FREE Literature
- * My YouTube: iThankYouLord
- * What Are Devils?
Couponing & More
- drugstore divas
- opinion outpost